The Department of Linguistics of the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy in U.P. Diliman was established in August 28, 1922 with Prof. Trinidad H. Pardo de Tavera as its first chairperson. Its name then was Department of Philippine Linguistics. It was renamed to Department of Oriental Languages in July 1924, Department of Oriental Languages and Linguistics in 1963, Department of Linguistics and Asian Languages in 1973, and finally Department of Linguistics in 1983. The primary aim of the department since its founding has been the scientific study, preservation and promotion of the Philippine languages through teaching, field research and publication.
Comments are closed.